- About Us
- Historical Association
- Historical Markers
- Historical Markers O through Z
Historical Markers O through Z
The home is 3 rooms wide by 2 rooms deep with additions to its rear. A deep porch lines the front, and the whole is covered with a hipped roof topped with a lyre shaped lighting rod.
Open Sugar Kettles
Open sugar kettles, originally used to produce granulated sugar, were phased out beginning about 1830.
Original Brusly High School
First West Baton Rouge Parish public high school. Built in 1911 for grades 1-11 to serve students in area from Beaulieu to Chenango Plantations.
Poplar Grove Plantation
The principal residence at Poplar Grove was built as the Banker's Pavilion at the World's Industrial and Cotton Centennial Exposition 1884-85 in New Orleans.
Port Allen Middle/High School
Port Allen High School was constructed on ten acres of land purchased from Homestead Plantation. The proceeds of a parish wide bond issue and a grant from the PWA funded the project
Port Allen Prisoner-of-War Sub-Camp No. 7
This fountain is the only remaining structure of the World War II prisoner-of-war Sub-Camp No. 7. Sub-Camp No. 7 was a satellite camp of the larger Camp Plauche located downriver in Harahan.
Over the Rosedale Road in May 1864 marched the Union Army of Major General Nathaniel Banks on its return to New Orleans following the failure of the Red River Campaign.
Sandbar Plantation House
Sandbar Plantation House is located between the town of Brusly and the Gulf Intra-coastal Waterway on River Road. It was named after the Sandbar, an area between Cinclare and Beaulieu Plantations on the Mississippi River where a sandbar appeared when the Mighty Mississippi waters receded. Local citizens would enjoy the sandbar area for recreation purposes.
Settled by members of the Plaquemine Culture who built ceremonial mounds, it is also known as the Medora Site.
St. Delphine Plantation “The Big House”
Over 100 folks were on hand Sunday, August 20, 2006, as The West Baton Rouge Historical Association and the August J. Levert, Jr., Family LLC dedicated a State of Louisiana Historic Marker at the sight of the St. Delphine Plantation known as “The Big House” near Addis.
St. James Square / Molaisonville
The Town of Brusly designated funds to recognize St. James Square and Molaisonville. Brusly residents and Town officials gathered on Sunday, December 7th for special events to dedicate a State of Louisiana Historic Marker and to recognize certified Landmark Homes.
St. John the Baptist Catholic Church
This community of faith was incorporated March 19. 1835 by an act of the Louisiana State Legislature as "L'eglise de St. Jean Baptiste D'Ouest Baton Rouge."
St. John the Baptist Cemetery
The West Baton Rouge Historical Society, in 2009, approved funding for a State of Louisiana Historic Marker to recognize St. John the Baptist Catholic Cemetery.
St. Mark Baptist Church
Historical marker unveiled at St. Mark's Church. WBRHA Board Members Ida Pierre and Brian Falcon stand with Debbie Martin, Church Mother ???, and St. Mark’s Church Member and WBRM Board Member Sadie Payne Woods beside the new state historical marker unveiled on October 31, 2021. We have come this far by faith trusting in God’s holy word. Special thanks to all who contributed their talents to this history-making event.
St. Mary's A.M.E. Church
St. Mary's A.M.E. Church was founded on September 16, 1888 and erected in 1889.
Stone Square Lodge No. 8
On August 21, 1879 the Prince Hall Grand Lodge of Louisiana issued a charter to Worshipful Master Sterling Barrow, Senior Warden Alexander Gilbert and Junior Warden Alex Bains to organize Stone Square Lodge No. 8.
In 1874 Alexander Banes, a former slave, purchased property which he sold to Sunrise Realty Co. in 1905. About 1906 the Missouri-Pacific Railroad began using a train-ferry to cross the Mississippi River, causing a great spurt in the population of Sunrise.
Third Parish Courthouse
The West Baton Rouge (WBR) Historical Association made a proposal to the WBR Parish Council to honor the Garden Club with the historical marker for residents and visitors to learn about them being the oldest Civic Organization in West Baton Rouge Parish.
Town Of Addis “Baton Rouge Junction”
Addis is home to nearly 5000 residents, many may not know the town’s unique history. Once known as “Baton Rouge Junction” it was once a major connecting station for trains and their passengers traveling the country in the late 1800’s to mid-1900s.
Union Baptist Church
The church has ministered to its congregation and the community with spiritual, educational and civic outreach programs. In May 2008, the Town of Brusly designated Union Baptist Church as a community landmark.
West Baton Rouge Parish Bicentennial
Learn more about the West Baton Rouge Parish Bicentennial Historical Marker.
World War II Prisoner of War Camp
View the historical marker marking the camp that housed German prisoners during World War II.