> Keep West Baton Rouge Beautiful
> Get Involved
Great American Cleanup
The Great American Clean Up is a time of year that Keep Baton Rouge Beautiful (KWBRB) uses to get the community to come together and help to beautify the parish. There are many different projects that can be done and KWBRB can provide some necessary supplies to assist in these.
Do you have an area you would like to beautify and cleanup in West Baton Rouge Parish? If so, give us a call at 225-490-8549 and share your ideas. Volunteer and show your parish pride.
Adopt-A-RoadThe Adopt-A-Road program allows residents and local businesses to help the community in a very green way, it enlists volunteers to remove litter and debris from West Baton Rouge Parish roadsides. While saving taxpayer dollars, the program provides recognition for participating groups and organizations, promotes civic responsibility and pride, makes the public aware of the problem and helps West Baton Rouge Parish clean.
Areas that can be adopted: Most roads within West Baton Rouge Parish
Areas that cannot be adopted:
How to participate:
- Areas that have already been adopted
- Areas where access is unsafe
- Areas where the road shoulders are too narrow
- Areas where visibility is restricted
- Areas of heavy traffic
- Areas where construction is underway or planned
Application - click here
- Choose the road that you would like to Adopt, determine how many people will be needed to keep the road clean.
- Contact Keep West Baton Rouge Beautiful to verify the availability of the area(s) to be adopted.
- Fill out and turn in the application which can be obtained from the Keep West Baton Rouge Beautiful office, located in the West Baton Rouge Council building.
Battery RecyclingBattery recycling is very important in the efforts to Keep WBR Beautiful and the overall green goals. Batteries contain a number of heavy metals and toxic chemicals; which raises concerns about soil contamination and water pollution over time. Batteries have become very common in our everyday lives, from remotes to cell phones, they are almost everywhere. Many steps have been taken in the efforts to reduce the number of batteries being disposed of a basic trash rather then recycled properly.
Help do your part by recycling your used and unwanted batteries at these locations:
- Addis Hardware - 7543 Louisiana 1, Addis, LA 70710
- Port Allen Hardware & Supplies - 455 N. Alexander Ave, Port Allen, LA 70767
- West Side Lumber Co. - 920 Court St., Port Allen, LA 70767
- The West Baton Rouge Parish Library - 830 N Alexander Ave, Port Allen, LA 70767
- Po-Folks Fruit & Vegetables - 1280 Lobdell Hwy, Port Allen, LA 70767
A, B, C, D, and rechargeable batteries are accepted.
Brusly Lions Club and Keep West Baton Rouge Beautiful are partnering to inform the local public of the Lions Club services.The Louisiana Lions Eye Foundation strives to improve the quality of life by providing eye exams and eyeglasses to Louisiana residents who otherwise could not afford this care.Used eyeglasses are presently being collected throughout West Baton Rouge Parish. They will then be sent to Harahan Lions Home to be cleaned and classified by prescription, and repacked for shipping.
In the past 7 years, over 350,000 pairs of eye glasses have been collected.To donate your used eyeglasses (no cases), just bring them to one of the following locations: Daniel’s Pharmacy, Noah’s Pharmacy, Steven’s Pharmacy, Bourg’s Drug Store, Dr. Higgins’s Office, Dr. Padgett’s Office, WBR Library, WBR Parish Council Administration Building, WBR Council on Aging, Wal-Mart Eye Center, Westside YMCA in Addis, Cajun Circus Casino.
Any questions about recycling eyeglasses please call (225) 200-3561 or (225) 490-8549 or visit the Brusly Lions Club Website www.bruslylionsclub.org
Reusable Shopping Bags
Did you know?
Need a reusable shopping bag?
Each year 500 billion to 1 trillion plastic bags are consumed worldwide. Less than 1% of these bags are recycled.
- The average person uses 700 plastic bags a year.
- It takes up to 1,000 years for high-density polyethylene plastic bags to be broken down in the environment.
- One reusable shopping bag can eliminate the use of 700 to 1000 plastic bags in it's lifetime.
- Contact Keep West Baton Rouge Beautiful at 225-490-8549